This is a test of the model's ability to reproduce temperature driven density stratification.
- Johnson, B. H (1981). “A Review of Numerical Reservoir Hydrodynamic Modeling”, U.S. Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station, Technical Report E-81-2, February 1981.
- Ambient temperature is 21.4 oC
- Smagorinski coefficient = 0.0
- Background kinematic eddy viscosity = 1.0E-09 m2/s
- Manning's n = 0.005
- Inflow applied over bottom 0.15 m at upstream end
- Flowrate of 0.00063 m3/s
- Temperature of 16.7 oC
- Observations show 17-18 minutes for the underflow to reach the reservoir wall
- Model results for temperature at 19 minutes. (red is higher temp, blue is lower temp)
- Mesh resolution can impact results: