Who We Are
The research performed at the Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory (GSL), U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center, addresses some of the world’s toughest Civil Works and Military Engineering challenges. The lab has a rich history dating to the early 1930s, and is today a vital organization of more than 440 engineers, scientists, technicians, and administrative and support personnel. Nearly 70 percent of the lab’s engineers and scientists hold advanced degrees, and each GSL team member is dedicated to making the world safer and better.
Through a unique combination of laboratory experimentation, materials characterization, full-scale field testing, and high-performance computational analysis, GSL develops and delivers innovative solutions in:
- Force Projection/Maneuver Support – technologies to enable power projection and freedom of maneuver for U.S. forces throughout the world;
- Force Protection/Weapons Effects – technologies to protect the Warfighter and the Nation, such as improved protective structures and survivability measures;
- Civil Works/Infrastructure – technologies to enhance infrastructure design, construction, maintenance, evaluation, assessment and security/protection;
- Operational Support/Technology Transfer – support to Military Engineering- and Civil Works specific requirements and technology transfer through “reachback” support, training, and on-site technical assistance.
GSL is divided into eight branches that focus on:
- Airfields and Pavements
- Concrete and Materials
- Geotechnical Engineering and Geosciences
- Impact and Explosion Effects
- Mobility Systems
- Structural Engineering
- Structural Mechanics
- Survivability Engineering
GSL operates a number of unique laboratory and research facilities, including the world’s most powerful centrifuge dedicated to engineering and scientific research.
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Engineer Research & Development Center
Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory
3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS 39180-6199
Updated 18 August 2020