Raised Floor Computer Space for High Performance Computing
The ERDC Information Technology Laboratory (ITL) provides a robust system of IT facilities to develop and apply advanced information technology to military and civil works missions. Located at the ITL Headquarters in Vicksburg, Miss., the Joint Computing Facility (JCF) offers 10,000 square feet of raised floor computer space to tackle the most difficult challenges in computing.
Advanced Capabilities for Many Applications
The JCF is part of an integrated system of ITL resources to support the Department of Defense (DOD) High Performance Computing Modernization Program. The JCF is home to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Central Processing Center, the ERDC Computer Center, and the DOD Supercomputing Resource Center and Mass Storage Facility.
The JCF features several components:
- 10,000 square feet of raised floor computing facilities.
- 5.3 megawatt (four generators) power in ITL Building 8000 including the JCF and associated mechanical systems.
- Chilled water compressors with 700 ton capacity support computing facilities in ITL Building 8000, including the JCF.
- 4 megawatt Un-interruptible Power System (UPS), which includes an on-line 2 megawatt battery system and an on-line 2 megawatt flywheel system, support ITL Building 8000 including the JCF.
High performance computing operations conducted at JCF include:
- Developing super materials that are 150 times stronger than steel.
- Developing the next generation of improvised explosive device (IED) sensors.
- Developing sensor systems for military reconnaissance.
- Exploring new solutions through mobile computing.
ERDC Points of Contact
Questions about the JCF?
Contact: Dr. Kevin Barry