Mission & Core Competencies
The mission of the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center-International Research Office (ERDC-IRO) is to promote science and technology interaction, exchange, and cooperation between ERDC and the international research community as a means to advance science and engineering knowledge and technical capabilities in areas relevant to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ mission and primary support to Army S&T:
- Blast and Weapons Effects on Structures and Geo-Materials.
- Civil and Military Engineering.
- Battlespace Terrain Mapping and Characterization.
- Cold Regions Science and Engineering.
- Military Installations and Infrastructure.
- Computational Prototyping of Military Platforms.
- Coastal, River and Environmental Engineering.
ERDC’s ability to understand, predict, and shape the operational environment drives our S&T strategy and underpins our core competency areas. Our four core competency areas best positioned to currently support the Army’s Modernization are: (a) Blast and Weapons Effects on Structures and Geo-Materials, (b) 3D Mapping and Characterization, (c) Civil and Military Engineering, and (d) Cold Regions Science and Engineering. These core competencies are key to enabling the ability of our current and future military forces to gain and maintain overmatch.
Our capabilities and facilities are available to assist you in addressing and solving a variety of research and engineering challenges. The IRO promotes R&D opportunities through:
- support for travel by experts
- support for focused technical workshops
- support for international conferences; and
- research contracting
The IRO maintains a close collaboration with other DoD Research & Development Liaison offices including:
Contact information updated 25 August 2020