Selected to the Senior Executive Service in May 2018, Dr. Lance Hansen serves as the Director of the Construction Engineering Research Laboratory, U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Champaign, Illinois. In this capacity, Dr. Hansen leads a team of approximately 300 researchers, support staff and contractors. He is responsible for planning, directing and coordinating a multi-million dollar research program in installation management and design, deployed force infrastructure, construction and demolition robotics, and training enhancement technologies. He leads the development of strategic planning, and execution of the research, engineering and technology support program while managing human, financial and physical assets of the laboratory including 19 acre world class research complex of specialized research capacity, collocated with the University of Illinois.
- August 2008 – April 2018: Deputy Director, Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory, U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Hanover, NH.
- March 2004 - August 2008: Acting Deputy Director, Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory, U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Hanover, NH.
- July 2000 – Feb 2004: Chief, Environmental Risk Assessment Branch, Environmental Laboratory, U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, MS.
- Feb 2000 – June 2000: Special Assistant, Environmental Division, Military Programs Directorate, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Washington DC.
- Aug 1996 – Jan 2000: Team Leader, Biological Remediation Team, Environmental Engineering Branch, Environmental Laboratory, U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center, Vicksburg, MS.
- Dec 1991 – Sept 1992: Assistant Operations Officer (S-3), 326th Engineer Battalion, 101st Airborne Division, Ft. Campbell, KY.
- May 1991 – Nov 1991: Executive Officer, Alpha Company, 326th Engineer Battalion, 101st Airborne Division, Ft. Campbell, KY.
- Oct 1988 – Apr 1991: Platoon Leader Alpha Company, 326th Engineer Battalion / Taskforce Engineer 3/327 Infantry, 101st Airborne Division, Ft Campbell, KY.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Environmental Engineering), Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 2002.
- M.S.E., Environmental Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 1996.
- B.S., Computer Science, United States Military Academy, West Point, NY 1988.
- Command and General Staff Officers Course (CGSOC), 2002.
- Executive Development Assignment in Environmental Division, Military Programs Directorate, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Washington DC, 2000.
- Combined Arms Service Support School (CAS3), 1999.
- Engineer Officer Advance Course (EOAC), 1998.
Awards and Honors:
- Commanders Award for Civilian Service – 2013 and 2015.
- ERDC Research and Development Achievement Award – 2003.
- Young Professional of the Year, Vicksburg Chapter, Society of American Military Engineers, 1998.
- Emerging Leader of US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE); 1 of 12 repeat selections, 2000.
- National Finalist in US Army Reserve Junior Officer of the Year Award, 2000.
- Emerging Leader of US Army Corps of Engineer (USACE); 1 of 36 USACE wide selection, 1999. Board of Directors for Innovative Technology Regulatory Council (ITRC), Washington D.C., 2002-2004.
- Science Advisory Board (SAB) of Midwest Hazardous Substance Research Center (MHSRC) at Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 2002-2005.
- Invited Judge for 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th Annual Waste Education Research Consortium (WERC) Design Competition, 1999-2003.
- Invited member Strategic Advisory Board, New Mexico State University, Waste-management Education Research Consortium (WERC), 1999-2001.
- Invited member Technical Advisory Group for DOE Innovative Technology Remediation Demonstration (ITRD) for Groundwater Remediation, Pantex Facility, 2000.
- Invited member of Technical Advisory and Review Team for "Protecting the Ogallala Aquifer II" for DOE Pantex, Amarillo, TX, 2000.
- Technical Advisory Group member for DOE Innovative Technology Remediation Demonstration (ITRD) for explosives contaminated soil remediation, Pantex and Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1998-2000.
- Presenter for the Tri-Service Ecological Risk Assessment Work Group, “Bioremediation at the Waterways Experiment Station,” 1999.
- End User Advisory Committee for Strategic Environmental Research and Development Program, project CU 1081 "Genosensor-Based Ecotoxicity Response Assessment" 1998-2000.
- Bronze Star Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal (2 awards)
- Army Commendation Medal
- National Defense Service Medal
- Liberation of Kuwait/Kuwait Service Medal
- Liberation of Kuwait/Saudi Service Medal
- Southwest Asia Service Medal (2 BSS)
- Air Assault Badge
- Parachutists Badge