Spectral Imagery Analysis Software
When it was introduced, spectral imaging technology gained widespread use in environmental remote sensing for military surveillance and tactical planning purposes. Today, hyperspectral and multispectral image display and analysis are used in an ever-growing number of uses, including applications in medical research and health care, food inspection and safety, forensics, geographical studies and mineral exploration.
Provides Comprehensive Analysis of Image Data
HyperCube is a Macintosh and Windows application program created by ERDC’s Topographic Engineering Center (TEC) that analyzes and displays multi- and hyper-spectral imagery. This includes the static and dynamic display of the image cube and the generation of spectral classifications using both imagery and spectral libraries.
The trajectory of moving through a digital data set toward a fixed
destination generated from a sequence of positions
HyperCube is easy to install and set up. With state-of-the-art functionality, HyperCube can filter, warp, mosaic, reformat, calibrate, combine, photogrammetrically project and perform arithmetic on imagery and data.
Other features include:
- Image Loading: Intrinsic and general file types, SRF, TARGA, ERDAS Imagine, ESRI Shape, HDF, JPEG, LASF/ASCII LIDAR, NITF, PNG, TIFF
- Image Operations and Conversions: Zoom, gray and color mapping, data mapping, flips, rotations, filtering, components to color, indexed to color, gray scale/color tables, replace color, image to mask, histogram equalization
- Image and Multiband Functions: Statistical measures, histograms, pixel exclusion, scatter plot, image arithmetic, mosaic points and references, warp, plot scaling, band and annotation list, band scrolling, flicker/superimpose, constructing/modifying a cube, color composite, spectral plots, selection point colors
- Spectral Libraries and Classifications: Format, plotting and superimposing signatures; general and specific algorithms; classify function and options; image product; F(Signatures); ROC curves; attach class map; class map editor; spectral calibration
- Utilities and Applications: Wrap JPEG in NITF; GeoTIFF and JPEG to NITF; Buckeye files to NITF; library; cube ASCII file conversions; concatenate images, cubes and files; apply transformation; merge LAS files; ASCII LIDAR to LASF; shaded relief; contour; stereo mate and compilation; perspective; radiance; lens distortion; point cloud traversal
USACE Army Geospatial Center Buckeye Program
The Buckeye Program was born in 2004 to aid the military in the acquisition of unclassified high-resolution geospatial data for tactical missions. Today, the Buckeye Program uses fixed winged and unmanned systems to rapidly collect, process, and distribute unclassified high-resolution and high-accuracy color imagery and elevation data for the military. Embedded in the Buckeye Program, HyperCube combines the flight orientation parameters and other metadata into georeferenced NITF files to aid military operations with rapid tactical response.
Government, Private and Academic Organizations
A diverse roster of organizations use HyperCube for their spectral imagery analysis and classification work, including the Arizona Department of Mines and Minerals, U.S. Library of Congress, NASA, Quebec Forest Service, B&D Natuuradvies, Equipoise Imaging, Raytheon, University of Paris, Montclair State University, Rochester Institute of Technology and many others.
- Application written for Windows and Mac platforms
- Language is C++ Application Programmers Interface (API) level
- More than 200,000 lines of source code for each version
- Two hundred page PDF user’s guide with internal hyperlinks
- Quick start guide with several example data sets
Documentation and Support
HyperCube files and User Help (Windows and Macintosh)
- Update.pdf: PDF document details funtionality with more than 100 pictorial examples
- HyperCube.pdf: PDF document details functionality with more than 100 pictorial examples
- Quick_Start.pdf: Step-by-step instructions to install and execute the application
- HyperCube.zip: Windows executable file (32 and 64 bit versions; Windows® 95- through Windows 7-compatible)
- HyperCube_PPC.zip: Macintosh PowerPC version
- HyperCube_Intel.zip: Macintosh Intel version
- Library.zip: Spectral library (49 signature files and one library list file, all in ASCII)
HyperCube Sample Data Sets (Windows and Macintosh)
- Cc.zip: Color wheel (8 bit BSQ, 440 pixels by 290 lines by 3 bands). Includes corresponding header (Cc.hdr) and wavelength (Cc.wvl) files
- Urban.zip: HYDICE sensor imagery (16 bit BIL, 307 pixels by 307 lines by 210 bands). Includes header (URBAN.hdr) and wavelength (URBAN.wvl) files
- Terrain.zip: HYDICE sensor imagery (16 bit BIL, 307 pixels by 500 lines by 210 bands). Includes header (TERRAIN.hdr) and wavelength (TERRAIN.wvl) files
- DTED.zip: Digital terrain elevation file. Includes header (DTED.hdr) file
- Lidar.zip: Lidar Z, Y, Z, Intensity point cloud data in LASF format (124MB expanded)
- Duncan Knob.zip: Lidar full wave form data in SDF format (164MB expanded)
U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center / Geospatial Research Laboratory